Tuesday 25 February 2014

Travels | Bergen

View from Mount Floyen
Mother and I went to Bergen last week for a wee bit of a weekend getaway. I've applied to study at the Music College, so we popped over to get a feel of the city and to see how much more expensive everything really is.

I'm not going to lie, I had my reservations about the prices as everyone kept saying that it was really expensive. I didn't really believe them until I arrived. For example,  less than half a pint of the local beer was the equivalent of £7. Gobsmacking. I know.

However, it is a beautiful city. Strange, as it seems to have its own climate as a result of being surrounded by seven mountains. We took the funicular rail to the top of Mount Floyen, the view was spectacular. We only saw a small part of the city - but the feel we got was that it was like a large harbour village (which it once used to be). Fishing used to be the main form of income and as a result there is now a World Heritage Centre on the medieval street of Bryggen, with all its old wooden warehouses. There are a couple of museums on the harbour, which are worth a visit. There also a fish market right opposite here. It wasn't what I expected at all. When I read about it, I thought it was going to be a bit like a farmers produce market - but for fish. We stepped in for a wonder around and it could not have been more different to what I was expecting. It consisted of three main counters, I suppose I could call them, each with its own restaurant attached. You could also select your fish or lobster from tanks right beside the counter. So surreal, but so amazing at the whole time.
Bryggen

The city is known as the "City of Rain", and guess what? It rained. The whole time. At the beginning of the weekend, the rain came in short bursts. By Sunday, it was absolutely pouring down and we got drenched. It was cold too. I managed to lose one of my gloves on the train to the airport, so I ended up buying a pair of gorgeous hand-knitted woollen mittens. I am so glad that I did, otherwise I'm pretty sure my hands would have frozen into little icicles by the end of the weekend.

I would have loved to take the time to go to Grieg's house, but it would have involved a half hour's walk, and trudging in the rain for 30 minutes is no one's idea of fun. But hey! I have a reason to go back.

I would definitely go back, and I would also love to take the time to travel around Norway, maybe I will if I get accepted.