Friday 19 September 2014

#DontStopTheMusic

As a musician, I feel that this campaign is so so so important.

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about.... James Rhodes (a classical pianist) is campaigning to get people to donate any instruments they have lying around for the benefit of children in schools that may not have a chance to have a musical education.

Music has always been a part of my life. My father is very musical, and so I grew up with music being a presence in the house. When I was six, I began to play the piano. When I was 7, I picked up the violin. And finally when I was 8 I was given an oboe. I gave up violin for the oboe and stopped piano lessons (because I didn't like my teacher....) but I still play every now and then.

My local music service were very active and gave me the opportunities to have lessons, play in various ensembles and perform on stage. They even gave me a student oboe to learn on.

Music has really been the only constant in my life. It's been there through moving schools and moving house. It's been there for me when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Through learning to play the oboe I have made some of my best friends, met boyfriends along the way, had the most amazing opportunities, and it's all topped off by having unforgettable experiences.

I study the oboe at a music conservatoire now, I have been a member of the National Youth Orchestra of Wales, and I received a music scholarship to one of the top schools in Wales. I am now going to study in one of the highest establishments of music in Prague, Czech Republic for a year. These are only a few of the wonderful things that music has allowed me to do with my life.

I can't explain the impact that it has had. Sure, people have picked on me because it's not "cool" to play an instrument (and lets face it, the oboe isn't the coolest instrument out there!!), but I didn't let that bother me. In fact, I took that negativity, and worked extra hard to show those non-supporters what I could do!

As I've said above, it has helped me create memories and make the best of friends, however it also helped me in many other ways:

I grew in confidence, I knew that I was good at something. It is nothing to be ashamed of to allow yourself to say you're good at something.
I became a team player. When you're playing in an orchestra, you learn to work as an orchestra. You learn to listen to those around you, to know when you're the melody and when you're the accompaniment. You learn to hear if you're sharp or flat and now that can affect the whole of the orchestra.
Multi-tasking. If people had any idea how much skill it takes to work in an ensemble, I swear there would be no issue with musical education in the UK. You need to read the music in front of you, while watching the conductor. On top of that you need to listen to what's happening in the music around you, and that's all before you actually play the instrument and think about the notes, the dynamics and the wiggling of your fingers and letting the sound out.
Perseverance. Oh boy, as someone who isn't a fan of hard work, this really was a tricky one for me. But sure enough, 12 years of practice and look where I am! It takes so much time and effort to learn an instrument and to understand the music. It really does pay off, I promise!
Responsibility. You never know responsibility really as a child, and when you're holding £1500 worth of instrument in your hand, you become so protective. It is also your responsibility to make the time and effort to practice and to get better.

I really can go on and on and on about the other benefits I've had (memory, maths, reading, concentration. anxiety reduction, physical stamina, sense of achievement), but I think you get the picture, right?

I have no idea where I would be right now if I wasn't introduced to music. I am very lucky that my home-town had such an active music service, and I am very thankful to them for allowing me to have the opportunities I was given, which has lead to where I am in life right now.

It therefore really distresses me that there are schools and areas that don't have the funding for giving children the chances I had when I was their age. It could give them a future. It could keep a child from a life of drug addiction and abuse. It could keep a child from the streets.

So please, if you have an instruments lying around the house, take them to your local Oxfam where they will be found a home and loved once again.

I can't imagine life without music, so please, let's #DontStopTheMusic.

No comments:

Post a Comment